Friday, May 09, 2008

StubHub and Madonna Deal to Resell Tix

I guess any news that is music business related should not surprise me, but it still does. Years ago you would not see the artist getting into bed with the scalpers, but I guess Madonna feels if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

According to an article in today's Wall St Journal, Madonna will get a a percentage of sales as well as a flat fee from StubHub. This is her first tour under her new $120 million deal with Live Nation. She is doing 18 dates in the US this fall. Several of them will be stadium shows including Dodger Stadium. I've only seen Madonna once and it was at Radio City. It might have been the Like A Virgin tour. I can't image her show translating to a big stadium where she has to connect with at least 45,000 people. Even though Madison Square Garden isn't intimate by any means, you can still see the dancers. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling her fans will not want to see her in a major league ballpark. So Madonna plays bigger venues than ever, gets into the scalping business and is releasing her last record on Warner Brothers. It was also reported in the Journal that the Warner Music Group's losses widened. Some things will still surprise me, others won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment