Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Gone Girl

As I'm reading Gone Girl I'm thinking this is playing out like an episode of Dateline.  Needless to say, two pages later one of the main characters, Nick (the husband) says his life feels like an episode of Dateline

Amy (the wife) has been known to the world all her life, as her parents used their only child as the model for a highly successful series of children's books, Amazing Amy.  Amy and her amazing-ness will reveal itself.  This is a mystery, so it's hard to talk about details without giving too much away. Like any good episode of Dateline (my husband loves the show) all things seem perfect at the start and then Keith Morrison's voice over quickly changes things with a big "but....."  Am I the only one who thinks he tells a story like he's reading a Dr Seuss book? 

There are twists and turns.  Some are predictable, some are interesting.  The book is a page turner.  There isn't a feel good ending (which is fine). Could this be a modern day prequel to The Omen?  By the end of the book, I was left hating one of the characters and it might not be the one you think.  Ok, I hated Nick and on so many levels.  Maybe it's because I've met guys like him.  They kind of coast, not much of a spine, but they are good looking so they don't try as hard.  I predicted the ending, so by the time I got there I was disappointed. 

I haven't read Gillian Flynn's prior two novels.   Her bio says she saw the movies Bonnie and Clyde and Psycho when she was seven.  I could see how that would play into her writings.  It appears that Reese Witherspoon will produce the movie version with author Flynn adapting her own book. 




No comments:

Post a Comment