Tuesday, January 29, 2008

ANDY DAVIS


If Mitchell Froom endorses someone, I pay attention. This summer he played me Andy Davis, who he just finished producing. He said this guy has it all musicially and he's super organized. Not to generalized, but organized is not a term generally associated with musicians. On first hearing his music, early Todd Rundgren (We Gotta Get You A Woman-Something/Anything period) and Elton John came to mind. I think the piano had something to do with my immediate association, but he tells stories, much like both of the above mentioned. Listen to Let the Woman I Love.

Andy played the Living Room last Friday so I decided to head over there. It was just him, his guitar or piano. Now I can say I also endorse Andy Davis, not that he's running for anything. His show was about the music. His love for music emanates from him. Not taking himself too seriously, he used miscues to his advantage- a charming touch. He knows how to work an audience. His unassuming way of involving the crowd as an additional musician is such a simple but effective additive to the show. Whether clapping hands or signing along to Mariah Carey, the audience was part of this show.

Andy is a Baton Rogue native who now makes Nashville his home. Nashville could be where he developed his storytelling chops. He said when he was studying music he came across Irving Berlin who composed most of his music on the black keys of the piano, which inspired the song Black Keys. Note: In a 1962 interview, Berlin said, "The black keys are right there, under your fingers. The key of C is for people who study music." Irving couldn't read or write music, neither can John Hiatt and I'd be hard pressed to find better songwriters.
Brown Eyes closed his set. It's a perfect pop song. The stuff I love.
"She had brown eyes, I know she's about my height....
I don't even know her, but I know I have to see her again:"
How many people can relate to meeting someone, being smitten, this person leaves the bar, you may never see him/her again, but you're obsessed?

Believable Doubt began as a love song, but took a sinister turn. Andy's vocals suck you in and make you believe.

The album can only be purchased at Barnes & Noble now, but it's worth walking the 3 blocks in NYC to purchase (there is a Barnes & Noble within three blocks of everyone-I have 2 within 5 blocks of my home). It's impeccably produced by Mitchell Froom. Listen to songs from the album on Andy's website, other tracks can be heard at myspace. If he comes to your town, go see him and be entertained: think Elton John without the costumes. There wasn't enough ceiling clearance for him to jump on a piano, but in the back of my head there was always a thought that he could do it and get right back to serenading without missing a beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment