Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Jan & Dean & Gary Numan

Locnville, 20-year old twin brothers Andrew and Brian Chaplin from South Africa (although born in New York) have recorded a song, Sun In My Pocket. As far as I can tell, it's been released in South Africa and Sony have international rights with a release soon in the UK. The twins are distantly related to Charlie Chaplin (Charlie's brother is the guys great-grandfather).

I never thought these three names would be used to describe a song: Jan, Dean and Gary Numan. The chorus of Sun In My Pocket could have been taken from a Jan & Dean classic with Gary Numan producing the record. The verses have a hip hop edge, but when the chorus comes back to "I've got the sun in my pocket and the moon in my hand" it could fit right in with the Brian Wilson penned Surf City. I have a feeling they were not listening to Jan & Dean as they site influences Pink Floyd and Oasis, which their parents listen to. Then again, Oasis has written some great pop choruses and they may have listened to the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean. Sun In My Pocket would make a great summer hit. Video is below; it's not "Don't Come Around Here No More", but you get to see Locnville in action.




No comments:

Post a Comment