Thursday, January 15, 2009

Gary Kurfirst: Long Time Artist Manager Dies

I worked on the same floor as Gary Kurfirst's Overland Productions in the late 80's, early 90's. We said hi in the hallways. He was a loyal manager who worked with everyone from the Talking Heads to Diamanda Galas. I remember the start of Radioactive Records. There was always something new and exciting coming out of their office. Gary died suddenly this week. The best tribute I've seen came from him son which was posted in the Lefsetz letter. I'll excerpt the posting below.

Bob,

We've never actually met before, but I feel like I have read hundreds of your emails over the years and they were all forwarded to me by my father, Gary Kurfirst. I know he agreed with a lot of what you had to say about the music business and he admired your writing abilities and passion for music. I'm writing to let you know that Gary (aka notalk888@aol.com) passed away yesterday. It all happened very sudden, the details of which do not matter, bottom line is he was way too young. I'm not sure why I am reaching out to you, but I feel like I need to make sure that my dad's accomplishment in the music business are recognized and you have a lot of people's attention. He was a true music pioneer, an ole gunslinger back when the music business was like the wild, wild west and crafty kid from Forest Hills, Queens could carve out a living promoting (and later managing) cutting edge acts not because they were popular, but because they were different. I actually got to work with him for most of my adult life. He taught me about the importance of artist development, building the brand and finding acts that did not fit the mold but rather broke it. He believed in artistry and did not sign acts because they sounded like "so and so," he signed acts that were an extension of his creative being, ones that tested the boundaries of modern music and would change the face of music forever. He was not a musician, or music historian and would readily admit that he knew zero about music in general. However he understood how to identify, create and manage unique artists as good as any human being on the planet over the last 40 years. He always stuck to his guns. Didn't care what other people thought and believed passionately that over time the cream always rises to the top. Sometimes that rise took years (see the Ramones & the Talking Heads) and something it happened almost instantly (see Live). My point is that my dad represented a lot of the good that has happened in music over the past 40 years. He started out as a pioneer and morphed into an anomaly and at the end of it all I'm very proud to be his son and only wish that my two boys (Gary's only grandchildren - Lucas 5 & Landon 13 months) got a chance to know him like I did.

Regards,

Josh Kurfirst

ps: Gary's work history can be found here: www.garykurfirst.com
pps: two stories have broke so far http://www.nme.com/news/talking-heads/42077 and one at www.hitsdailydouble.com

1 comment:

  1. karen martin8:13 PM

    My name is Karen Martin--I knew Gary Kurfirst from WAY back when the Talking Heads and The B-52's were rising to the top--We met through Marshall Sehorn and Allen Toussaint in New Orleans--I was managed by Marshall Sehorn and recording in New Orleans. Gary and I became friends and remained friends for over 25 years. There were many years that passed, but somehow we stayed in touch---He was by far one of the greatest managers, promoters, and I always wished he'd write a book, as he had alot to offer and great stories to tell! Gary wasn't one for bringing attenion to himself. He liked behind the scenes. I remember talking to him a few years back and he was so proud of his son Josh (high school football hero)and his daughter. I am in shock and deeply saddened by this news as I have just heard about it-3 months later! I can't imagine what happened--Gary hated smoking, didn't drink, and lived very healthy. I havent slept since I heard the news. My DEEPEST condolences to his family and his business family. What a HUGE loss for everyone!

    ReplyDelete