Tuesday, August 19, 2008

John Rich Claims to Know What Johnny Cash Would Do

Apparently John Rich is now throwing around Johnny Cash's name like he's been in touch with him recently. As an avid McCain supporter, he has stated that he knows Johnny Cash would support McCain also. How can you speak for someone who can no longer speak for themselves? Rosanne Cash was none too happy with the use of her father's name. Eloquent as ever, she had this to say on her website:

Regarding the Use of My Father’s Name To Further Political Agendas:
August 15, 2008: It is appalling to me that people still want to invoke my father’s name, five years after his death, to ascribe beliefs, ideals, values and loyalties to him that cannot possibly be determined, and to try to further their own agendas by doing so. I knew my father pretty well, at least better than some of those who entitle themselves to his legacy and his supposed ideals, and even I would not presume to say publicly what I ‘know’ he thought or felt. This is especially dangerous in the case of political affiliation.
It is unfair and presumptuous to use him to bolster any platform. I would ask that my father not be co-opted in this election for either side, since he is clearly not here to defend or state his own allegiance.

Rosanne Cash

No comments:

Post a Comment