Monday, June 22, 2009

Perfect Songs For Trying Times

I was thinking about a few songs that I haven't heard in the past year. Even though most of them are about 25 to 30 years old, their sentiment resonates with what is going on now. I've also come to believe that the British seem to have a stronghold in socioeconomic related songs.

Here's a list with choice lyrics cited:

#1 To Hell With Poverty - The Gang of Four
To hell with poverty. We'll get drunk on cheap wine.
Great live, no one moves like Jon King, Andy Gill's guitar is mesmerizing.

#2 World Destruction - Time Zone
This is a world destruction, your life ain't nothing.
The human race is becoming a disgrace.

The Democratic-Communist Relationship,
won't stand in the way of the Islamic force.

I still have the 12" of this record, a pulsating collaboration between Johnny Rotten and Afrika Bambaataa. Video begins with a Ronald Regan speech.


#3 Low Budget - The Kinks
Circumstance has forced my hand
To be a cut price person in a low budget land
Times are hard but well all survive
I just got to learn to economize

I'm shopping at Woolworth and low discount stores
I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more

Ray Davies play on words and cheerful almost drinking song-like chorus, almost makes you forget you have no money.

#4 Career Opportunities - The Clash
Career opportunities are the ones that never knock
Every job they offer you is to keep out the dock

From the album The Clash. Bleak song that drives home the point that unemployment needs to be dealt with.

No comments:

Post a Comment