Tuesday, August 17, 2010

RATTLE ON!




It's The Rattles record release day.  The Rattles are a band of animals from the swamps of NJ.  This project has been a labor of love for me for the past two years. I am more than excited to see the music available to everyone and the fun and colorful website up.   I will disclose that I am the music supervisor for the project.  I hired the songwriters, musicians and producers to do the music.  It so happens they are two extremely talented people.  I will be interviewing them in a few weeks. The Rattles debut album is Rattle On. 

The Rattles Band wear their music references on their sleeves.  Wavy Lane which you can download for free from the band's website immediately reminded me of one of music's unsung heroes, Mike Nesmith.  He wrote and sang those great Monkees songs Papa Gene's Blues and The Girl I Knew Somewhere.  Different Drum was a hit for Linda Ronstadt.  The innocent and endearing 1-2-3 Count On Me is the sleeper track.  It's sung by Kitty, the band's female drummer.  "Her" voice is so refreshingly charming.  R-A-T-T-L-E-S is the foot stomping, air punching nod to punk and pop:  a little Pump It Up and a little Saturday Night.  Shipwreck In The Sky and Lucky Sam's Banana Stand are both playful and catchy. When you listen to Rattle On, you can't help but think of the other "animal bands",  the already mentioned Monkees, The Byrds and The Beatles. 

Take a listen and I'm sure one of the songs will be stuck in your head, in a good way.  Play it for your kids.  Play it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment